EU Non-Proliferation Consortium
In October 2011 the Institute of International Relations joined the EU Non-Proliferation Consortium, which is a network bringing together foreign policy institutions and research centres from across the EU to encourage political and security-related dialogue and the long-term discussion of measures to combat the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and their delivery systems.
The EU Non-Proliferation Consortium, managed jointly by four institutes entrusted with the project, in close cooperation with the representative of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The four institutes are:
- the Fondation pour la recherche stratégique in Paris
- the Peace Research Institute in Frankfurt (HSFK/ PRIF)
- the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) in London
- the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)
The Consortium began its work in January 2011 and forms the core of a wider network of European non-proliferation “think tanks” and research centres which will be closely associated with the activities of the Consortium.
The main aim of the network of independent non-proliferation think tanks is to:
- encourage discussion of measures to combat the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction
- their delivery systems within civil society, particularly among experts, researchers and academics
- the scope of activities shall also cover issues related to conventional weapons.
The fruits of the network discussions can be submitted in the form of reports and recommendations to the responsible officials within the European Union.
It is expected that this network will support EU action to counter proliferation. To that end, the network can also establish cooperation with specialized institutions and research centres in third countries, in particular in those with which the EU is conducting specific non-proliferation dialogues.
Currently four researchers from Institute are engaged in its work:
- Professor Roman Kuźniar
- Agnieszka Bieńczyk-Missala PhD
- Marcin Kaczmarski PhD
- Marek Madej PhD ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) – a contact person for cooperation in EU NPC framework
Website of EU Non-Proliferation Network: