Graduate Programme in International Relations
We offer an exceptional opportunity to join studies delivered entirely in English in one of the best universities in Central Europe and obtain the master level degree in International Relations. The Graduate Programme in International Relations is designed for students who are open for opportunities created by globalizing world.
The programme is addressed to students who have obtained Bachelor, Master of Arts or equivalent degree in international relations or related areas, and prepare to work in institutions and companies dealing with wide-ranging repertoire of international issues. The studies offer an array of options to specialize in: security and strategic studies, modern diplomacy, European integration and international trade policy. Our graduates can continue their studies at the doctoral level or start their professional career in a variety of areas either in the public or private sector.
The purpose of teaching international relations is to develop the following interdisciplinary skills: ability to describe the contemporary world, to explain phenomena and processes, to interpret rules and latest developments in international relations as well as mechanisms governing national foreign policies, to evaluate and forecast actions and behaviour of international life participants, and to participate practically in the international environment.
What do we offer
The 2-year second-cycle degree full-time programme consists of four semesters (terms) and offers 20 courses including master seminar aimed at thesis preparation and individual focus. All units are taught in English by experienced American and European academic teachers. The unique format of the Graduate Programme in International Relations not only introduces students to the workings of International Relations, but also makes them aware of interdisciplinary issues such as law, business, history and culture.
The professional skills of our graduates can be defined as follows:
- ability to act and cooperate in conditions of interdependence and anticipate its effects on national political, economic and cultural development;
- deep awareness of the complexity and multicultural nature of the contemporary world and proper perception of states and nations in a spirit of tolerance and respect for cultural, religious and ethnical dissimilarities;
- comprehension of the causes, essence, effects and requirements of international relations for state business enterprises and social organizations;
- ability to analyze and critically evaluate programmes and doctrines motivating activity in the foreign policy of various countries;
- comprehending the essence of the decision-taking process in domestic and international institutions committed to international cooperation; rudimentary knowledge of negotiation techniques;
- acquaintance with comparative analysis methods, manners of collecting information on international facts and processes as well as basic command of the principles behind the scientific study into international relations; skill at developing habits of description and interpretation of the activity of members participating in international relations and international phenomena as well as ability to forecast their actions.
The curriculum of Programme designed to provide a solid knowledge on international relations offers courses covering the whole area of the studied discipline. Among compulsory courses that are the core of the Programme students will find such as:
- Comparative Politics
- Cultural and Economic Aspects of International Management
- Developing Countries in International Relations
- Development Economics
- EU Economic Law
- European Institutions
- Foreign, Security and Defence Policy of EU
- Globalism and Regionalism
- Human Security and Gender
- India and China Foreign Policy
- International Economic Relations
- International Finance
- International Political Economy
- International Security
- International Social Policy
- International system of Human Rights protection
- International Trade system – WTO
- Multiculturalism in International Relations
- Multinational Corporations
- Poland’s Foreign Policy
- Theories of International Relations
- Transnational actors and movements
- US Foreign Policy
During the second year students are required to attend MA seminar – the course with a tutor supervising MA thesis preparation that focuses on individual needs and expectations.
Why our degree programme in IR is the best choice for you?
- The highest quality of education for the most demanding: UPIR brings to you not only experience and authority, but also the assistance of one of the finest academic centers in Europe. All courses offered are taught in English by highly respected staff from the University of Warsaw as well as a number of visiting scholars representing elite foreign institutions of higher education.
- Interdisciplinary and innovative: UPIR’s curriculum is truly one of a kind, comprising elements of law, business, history, culture and more! Moreover students of UPIR have opportunity to learn Polish and othe foreign languages at University of Warsaw.
- Individually tailored: our students can take active part in the formation of their own curricula. Institute of International Relations of the University of Warsaw enables the students to choose from a great variety of units, offered both by the Institute and other University faculties.
- International: students of UPIR have the opportunity to participate in student exchange programmes like Erasmus, Erasmus Mundus as well as bilateral programmes organized in cooperation with leading universities from the United States, India, China, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Nepal and more.
- Invaluable: after completing our three-year program, with a bachelor level degree in hand and a broad network of contacts established during their time at Institute of International Relations, our graduates can either continue their studies at our doctoral level programme or seek employment in a variety of areas in both the public and the private sector.