Section of Strategic Studies
The Section’s members form a team of competent and dynamic people with a broad spectrum of research interests and a rich and diverse experience. The Section is headed by Prof. Roman Kuźniar, who currently holds the position of the adviser to the President of the Republic of Poland in international issues and previously was, among others, a diplomat and the Director of the Polish institute of International Affairs.
The Section conducts research in the broadly defined fieldof security and strategic studies, including the history of contemporary international relations and Poland’s foreign policy. It publishes academic papers, course books, as well as analytical and policy papers. In co-operation with other IIR employees, it prepares the editions of the Strategic Yearbook, one of three publications of this type in Europe (the others being published in the UK and France).
The Section of Strategic Studies conducts didactical activities, in particular in the specialization ‘Security and Strategic Studies’(which includes issues related to conflicts, the military, law, the economy, disarmament and arms control, national security strategies, international organizations and alliances serving the maintaining of security, as well as theories of international security).
The Section’s members perform an advisory role in the creation of the Polish security policy (participation in the devising of the strategies of national security of the Republic of Poland, in the strategic review of national security, in the preparing of a novel strategic concept for the NATO – before the NATO summit in Lisbon in 2011). They co-operate with institutions dealing with the security policy, such as the Ministry of National Defence and the National Security Bureau. As far as possible, they include students in their work (currently, e.g. in the meetings of the eurodebate held in the Presidential Palace).
1. NATO’s New Strategic Concept – a Polish proposal prepared in co-operation with the Institute of Strategic Studies. The document was presented during the WARSAW TRANSATLANTIC FORUM 2010 and handed over directly to the Secretary General of NATO, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, during the meeting with the Section’s employees and students held on 12 March 2010.
2. Organization, in co-operation with the Centre for French Culture of the University of Warsaw and the Foundation Bronisław Geremek Centre, of a debate in the cycle ‘New Decade, New Europe’ with the title ‘Is a European security and defence policy possible?’. The meeting was held on 14 June 2010 and was attended by, among others, Marek Ostrowski, the head of the foreign department of Polityka, Bogdan Klich, the Minister of National Defence of the Republic of Poland, Stanisław Koziej, the Head of the National Security Bureau, Thérèse Delpech, CERI-Sciences Po.
3. Organization, in co-operation with the French Fondation pour la Recherche Stratégique (FRS), of the conference ‘Rethinking the European Security Strategy’. The event was held under the patronage of the National Security Bureau on 24 October 2011 in the Presidential Palace in Warsaw. The debate was attended by the leading European experts, including: Camille Grand, the Director of FRS, Stanisław Koziej, the Head of the National Security Bureau, Yves Boyer, the Vice-Director of FRS, Claudia Major, of the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP), Sven Biscop, of Egmont – the Royal Institute for International Relations, Stefano Silvestri, President of the Italian International Affairs Institute, Juha Jokela, of the Finnish Institute of International Affairs, Vivien Pertusot, of the French Institute of International Relations (IFRI), Félix Arteaga, of the Elcano Royal Institute, Eva Hagström Frisell, of the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI), Anand Menon, of the University of Birmingham, Gabor Horvath, of the EU Military Staff.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (a selection):
- Strategic Yearbook,2012.
- Kuźniar R., Balcerowicz B., Bieńczyk-Missala A., Grzebyk P., Madej M., Pronińska K., Sułek M., Tabor M., Wojciuk A., Bezpieczeństwo międzynarodowe, Warszawa, 2012.
- Balcerowicz B., Siły zbrojne w stanie pokoju, kryzysu i wojny, Warszawa, 2010.
- Kuźniar R. (ed.), Kryzys 2008 a pozycja międzynarodowa Zachodu, Warszawa: Wydawictwo Naukowe Scholar, 2011.
- Kuźniar R., Pozimnowojenne dwudziestolecie. Stosunki międzynarodowe na przełomie XX i XXI w., Warszawa: Wydawictwo Naukowe Scholar, 2011.
- Kuźniar R., Polityka zagraniczna III RP, Warszawa: Wydawictwo Naukowe Scholar, 2012.
- Sułek M., Programowanie gospodarczo-obronne, Warszawa: Bellona, 2008.
- Sułek M., Prognozowanie i symulacje międzynarodowe, Warszawa: Wydawictwo Naukowe Scholar, 2010.
- Bieńczyk-Missala A., Dębski S. (eds) Rafał Lemkin, A Hero of Humankind, Warszawa: PISM, 2010.
- Bieńczyk-Missala A. (ed.), Międzynarodowa ochrona praw człowieka. Wybór dokumentów, Warszawa: WUW, 2008.
- Grzebyk P., Odpowiedzialność karna za zbrodnię agresji, Warszawa: WUW, 2010.
- Madej M., Górka-Winter B. (eds), Państwa członkowskie NATO wobec nowej koncepcji strategicznej Sojuszu. Przegląd stanowisk, Warszawa: PISM, 2010.
- Madej M., Górka-Winter B. (eds), NATO Member States and the New Strategic Concept: An Overview, Warsaw: Polish Institute of International Affairs, 2010.
- Madej M., Terlikowski M. (eds),Bezpieczeństwo teleinformatyczne państwa (red.),Warszawa: Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych, 2009.
- Wojciuk A., Dylemat potęgi. Praktyczna teoria stosunków międzynarodowych, Warszawa: WUW, 2010.
Chairman: prof. Roman Kuźniar
Section of Strategic Studies on FB: